Tuesday, September 28, 2010

night class, Tuesdays

I love Tuesday nights.
My church has an AWANA program for the kids in our community. We meet every Tuesday night for games, Bible memorization, singing and skits.

 
I've worked with the Cubbies (3 & 4 year olds) for a few years.
This year, we have 13-15 of them most nights, with only 4 of them being from our church.

I have to tell you about "B."  He is incredibly, dangerously cute.  He's a little squeaker, like a chipmunk.  Very wound up, and compulsively loving.  He hugs you often.  One night, he ran up to hug me.  I leaned in, and much to my surprise this tiny little chipmunk gave me a Wet Willy!  Hello. Let me tell you, if your attention is drifting that'll bring you back real quick.
 
Stuff I've learned from Cubbies:
  1. Random is in.  The more unrelated the story, the better.  Such as... "Um, my daddy didn't take me fishing one day a long time ago."  "I had a pink birthday party last week."  (7 months ago)
  2. When addressing ladies, "Yes Man" means the same thing as "Yes Ma'am" to a 4 year old.
  3. It is possible to pick your nose and suck your thumb at the same time with the same hand.
  4. I am not soft enough, according to Jacob.
  5. Action is good.  If there are no actions to your song, improvise.  Spin or something, just keep 'em moving.
  6. A raised hand or urgent question means I have a new wound I must show you. Dylan: "Hey, I gotta question to ask you teacher."  Mrs. C - "What's that?"  Dylan: "Look at my rugburn on my chin!"
  7. Underwear is optional.
  8. In coins, value is totally determined by quantity.
  9. Potty breaks, and often.
  10. There's a tattle-tale in every crowd.  She is the self-appointed enforcer of every rule that has ever passed our lips.
  11. Everything in past tense is yesterday, future tense is all tomorrow.
  12. If you want to be held, hold your arms out and cry a little.
  13. Hide-N-Seek = chase us until you're ready to pass out Teacher!  And then do it some mo'!
  14. Chasing becomes much more exciting when the adult is growling.
  15. I am not ready to be a mother.  Naturally I will never have 15 three & four yr. olds of my own, but still.  I love them, but I lose all confidence in my abilities as a child tamer on Tuesday nights.
  16. BOYS ARE SO DIFFERENT THAN GIRLS.  This year, it takes 3 experienced ladies to sit with 5 boy Cubbies in Council time, and 1 younger brand new leader to sit with 9 girl Cubbies.  Boys are busy.  Boys have a short attention span.  Boys are constantly hitting each other, it seems to be how they relate.

I love these kids.  What I like the most is that in Cubbies, we get to set the foundation for most of them of how they percieve God.  How they can trust Him, love Him.  And they do trust Him, love Him and believe all the Bible stories 100%.  Child-like faith is beautiful.  Some of the questions they ask about Jesus sometimes floor me.  And, they make me laugh every week.

1 comment:

  1. Lol. Everything about this is true.
    "underwear are optional" - This could be Drews motto since he's started potty training :)

    ReplyDelete