Wednesday, April 13, 2011

the tale of the cookies

My life is so fascinating.

Monday night, I got home at 9, and then stayed up making the famous chocolate chip cookies for "Tommy." (name changed to protect the innocent)  Tommy is an old co-worker / good friend and I learned more from him about graphic design in 2 years then I will learn in the entire rest of my life.  I haven't talked to him in months since I switched jobs.  Anyways... Tommy's birthday was "today."  So Monday night I stayed up until midnight making his cookies.  I was so super extremely excited to anticipate the fun it would be for him to get a box delivered by the newspaper driver on his desk in the handwriting of an old friend who remembered his birthday.  I LOVE giving.  Tuesday I delivered said box to my old place of work, gave them cookies too, and set the box where the driver would pick it up in the middle of the night.  It clearly, boldly said "Please give to Tommy ............ (insert last name)."

About 5ish yesterday, I got a call on my cell from "Tammy."  She's a special friend that comes to church with me a lot.  She works at the newspaper.  She was very excited about something.  I had to ask a lot of questions to get to the bottom of her excitement.  It was a game for her, this guessing.  She got cookies from a certain someone.  That certain someone would be me.  For her birthday (which was over a month ago).  I said "ooooh, you took some out of the bag on the table at the newspaper?"   No!  The BOX!  That was so nice of you Anna!  I told everyone that you made me a box of cookies.  That's the nicest thing anyone's done for me in a long time!  My heart sank, kinda.  Late night, long day, anticipation crushed.  And yet my heart soared.  Laughter and tears as I drove away from work that day.  Tammy / Tommy.   His last name was just as prominent on the box as his first, but she was so zoned in that she never noticed the last name.

Today, about 5:10, Debbie, the lady I left my box with yesterday, stopped in to my new office.  "OOOOH you're still here.  Good!  Anna I'm so sorry.  I lost your box yesterday.  Couldn't find it anywhere.  I was going to call you this morning to tell you, but ran out of time.  This afternoon, Tammy came in and told me she found the box you'd left for her.  She was so excited that I didn't have the heart to tell her it wasn't for her.  I am so so so sorry!"  Oh man, what a funny end to a very long day.  Debbie and I had such a good belly laugh.  Tammy's happy, Tommy's gonna have a good laugh and he'll be happy that I tried so hard to send him cookies - really even just that I remembered his birthday.  Def. a win - win.

It cracks me up how I control and plan something down to the minutest detail, and then God says Okay, that's good.  But I can do better.  Watch this Anna. 

No comments:

Post a Comment