Monday, October 11, 2010

Heaven's Choir

Luke 19:40
And he answered and said unto them, I tell you that, if these should hold their peace, the stones would immediately cry out.

I was having a little Heaven on earth at work today singing, and I got to thinking about Heaven's choir. I can't begin to imagine what it will be like to be a part of that Choir. Every voice will be in unison, every note hit with graceful ease, precise timing will occur effortlessly, every heart will be grateful, every motive will be pure, perfect harmony. We will sing with one purpose alone - to praise the Lord.

I'm so glad God created the pleasure of singing. I'm so glad He created us with the ability to hear it with our ears, and feel it with our souls.

Music is the most beautiful language of worship, as far as my limited knowledge of the universe goes anyways. We always think of French as the language of romance on the earth. Well, I think of Singing as the "language of worship."

Kitty and I were discussing music in length awhile ago. I attempt to play piano for the poor / unbelievably kind woman on Saturdays, and I play a variety of stuff; classical, folk songs, children's songs, and hymns. She and I love the old hymns the very best. I can play a hymn, and when I'm done I look over at her and we both have little streams running down our cheeks.

She asked me why that is? What is it about the old hymns that touches a person so keenly?

Modern songs are different. They can move you, tugging at your emotions and touching your senses. The old hymns, sung the old way, tug at your very soul. And that, to me, is the difference.

I don't know if you'll grasp what I'm getting at. Its like, when things become modernized, they carry "man's" touch on them. Oh they do affect me, they do. But they've lost a little bit of Heaven.

Below are two videos of "Come Thou Fount," illustrating my point.

1. Mormon Tabernacle Choir
When I imagine Heaven's choir, I think it may be more like this first video. It saddens me that LDS are blinded to the Truth of God's simple plan of salvation, and I don't support their teachings, but I do believe they've gotten ahold of the concept of the Heavenly Choir.



2. A more modernized version.
I actually do like this one quite a bit. But do you hear the difference I'm getting at? This is good, but just not the same from a Heavenly perspective. To my ears. Maybe I'm weird. Well, actually that's a given. :-)


This whole post has an ulterior motive. "Come Thou Fount" has been stuck in my heart for months and months. I can't move on. I love it so much. Maybe if I spill it out on you it will ease up on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment