Tuesday, June 14, 2011

diggin' up bones

There's an old song I remember by Randy Travis called "Diggin' up bones."  Its exactly what I am trying to say in the following rambling.

Do you ever have a situation in life that consumed you, probably in a good way initially, but then it became necessary to walk away?

Sometimes its a job.  Sometimes its a relationship.  Sometimes its a dream.  Sometimes its a circle of people.  I'm not necessarily talking about ugliness and bitterness, sometimes its just time.  Sometimes its just the healthy thing to do for all involved.

I've always thought I was good at letting go.  Completely cutting ties and moving on.  I've found that a shredder does wonders on letters.  DELETE works great on digital reminders.

We have no control really though.  When I think I've moved on, God tests me.  With a phone number on a sticky note at the bottom of my purse.  With news headlines.  With a song.  With a patient today from a very specific place.  In the old excitement of the familiar I start asking my question... "You're from _________?!  Really?  I have a friend that lives there, maybe you know... er, (I stumble on my words as I remember that I let go), actually no, uh, never mind. Wrong town." 

Apparently, below the surface, I kinda suck at letting go.  I guess that's life in all aspects.  We have to deal and grow and be challenged constantly.  That's God's way.  We'll always be faced with the past and the temptation to "dig up bones."

No comments:

Post a Comment