Monday, March 22, 2010

the key to making a friend

When Lauren & Flynn were here recently, we were reminiscing about past Bible Conferences. 
This is how I met their family.

I was probably 13 or 14.  I was going through the food line, and I started visiting with the man in line behind me.  We proceeded safely through all the meats, salads, hot dishes and picked up our punch.  Almost home free, just the desserts to navigate now.

I have never been a good multi-tasker.
I tend to get animated when I talk.

It was bound to happen.  It had to.  He was wearing a white shirt.
Somehow, my cup of punch jumped out of my hand onto this poor man's white shirt.


Lesson learned: throwing beverages on a person is the ideal way to make a friend for life. I apologized to him frequently that week trying to make amends, and now we have an undying inside joke (or outside I guess since the punch was quite visible).  It comes up every year.  **Side note... we serve lemonade now.  Coincidence?  I think not.

Its amazing, I visited their church a few years later, and ate at a potluck.  We were in close proximity again in line, and somehow the jug of water slipped out of my hand towards him.

I told the girls to tell him he should wear a wetsuit this year.

What is this man's name?  Mr. Hartley, "your dad" ...  I really don't know.  But his daughters have become very good friends of ours, all because I'm clumsy.  Can't wait to see you guys! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment