Tuesday, June 8, 2010

An adult? When did this happen?

Today I realized something.
I really am an adult.

Weird.

I took a lunch break to go vote.  That's always fun because you're doing your duty as an American citizen, you get to put your two cents in, AND you get to see half the town.  My favorite part is the sticker you get.  Wearing the sticker is like being part of an elite club.  I ran into the director of our YMCA in McDonalds tonight (who was also wearing the sticker); he pointed at me, thumped on his chest and gave me a thumbs up.  I felt like I just got accepted on his football team or something.  Voter bonding is terrific.

Then I drove to the Treasurer's office to pay my car registration.  As I was walking down the sidewalk, it suddenly hit me in a very real way that I am an adult now.  Voting, car registration, yada yada.  Its nothing new, but you know how it is.  Sometimes things just hit you. A moment of clarity, so to speak.

As I got to the door, a gentleman was coming out.  "Are you going in Ma'am?" he said, and held the door open for me.  Ma'ams are grown-ups.  Wowee, could that possibly be me?

Next stop, the bank.  I had to transfer some money to pay my bills.  Bills... aren't those for adults?

On the way out of the bank, I popped in to say hi to Ed, Kristy's Loan Officer.  A home loan?  A loan officer?  Aren't those for adults?

Yes, it seems that I really am an adult.  I have no idea when that happened.

However, childhood isn't totally lost either.  We put on our annual tradeshow this weekend, and I helped two little old ladies haul all their merchandise in.  Later I overheard them referring to me as "that little girl."

2 comments:

  1. Tell me about it!
    Four kids.
    5th year wedding anniversary.
    Just checked my credit score.

    (I'm coming to Kalispell for. sure. I am so excited for the kids to meet their Auntie Anna!)

    (( This is Dana NOT Aj ))

    ReplyDelete